A pdf version of Call for Papers can be downloaded here
Service-oriented computing is considered today as a key technology for the
development of robust and high quality intelligent distributed and embedded applications.
Extensive research and development in the past few years has pushed SOA technology into
state-of-the-art application areas such as context-aware, cloud-connected, mobile enterprise
systems. However, many of the critical components on building reliable, robust, and usercentric
sensor-based SOA systems are still open for research. Hence, it is timely to reexamine
SOA research opportunities and identify new research challenges for next generation SOA.
One of the future SOA applications is Machine-to-Machine (M2M) systems that are
built on top of a network of services, each of which is autonomous and collaborates with
each other to form coherent and context-aware service. It has been suggested that M2M will
spark the next ICT revolution based on the 15-year gold rule of the ICT technology after
PC’s and Internet. The services in M2M have diverse characteristics and dynamic
requirements. Many of the service components are deployed on resource limited embedded
systems and are performance sensitive; others are deployed on cloud servers providing highly
parallel services. Two distinct sources for the increasing complexity are intelligent services in
heterogenous devices, and the constantly evolving environment. Hence, the dynamic
flexibility of SOA may be used to compose and invoke services in M2M to adapt to the
changing sensor resources, but also to the dynamic user needs and physical environment.
The 2012 IEEE International Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and
Applications (SOCA 2012) will be held in Taipei, Taiwan, with a theme of “M2M SOA”.
The conference includes three days of parallel tracks program, special-topic workshops/
tutorials, and panel discussion.
We invite submissions of high quality papers describing fully developed results or ongoing
work on the topics such as:
- Service-oriented architecture, engineering, and applications
- M2M service system management
- Intelligent service composition, management and maintenance
- Configurable and reconfigurable service middleware
- Large-scale real-time cyber-physical systems
- Dependable and trustworthy services
- Streaming and real-time data analytics
- Mobile service engineering and applications
- Security and privacy for intelligent service applications
- Context-aware connected embedded computing
- Service composition with multi-dimensional QoS
- Service networks for smart home, smart transportation, and smart infrastructure
- Sustainability issues on large-scale M2M applications
Proposal for workshops on focused emerging topics are also solicited. The papers in the
workshops will be published in the SOCA proceedings that will be included in the IEEE